Car Chase -- Community Blog

Will you miss Saturn?

by Steven S. Brooks on October 5, 2009

in Automotive Industry,New Cars

Unsurprisingly, GM (I don't know if it was the new GM or the old GM) announced the other day that Saturn was being closed down immediately and permanently. It was originally reported several months ago that Roger Penske was buying all of Saturn, except for the Spring Hill Tennessee manufacturing facility, to fold into his vast automotive empire. Apparently, he recently came to his senses and killed the deal.<

GM had a huge opportunity in the creation of this brand to make themselves, and the U.S. a world leader in the small car market. Unfortunately, due to the corporate arrogance and lack of attention to detail which ultimately brought the entire company to its knees, they failed miserably. The eagerly awaited initial Saturn models were poorly engineered, horribly constructed and plagued with several fatal flaws. Things eventually got better, but the die was cast in the buying public's eyes. The very last Saturns were actually good cars, but most were imports from GM divisions overseas, which is totally counter to Saturn's original vision of a world-class, American made small car.

Despite this, there are a lot of Saturns out there. Heck, I'm almost ashamed to admit that my sister and her husband are proud(?) owners of his and hers Saturns. A big question remains about parts and service for all Saturns on the road. Will you or anyone you know miss Saturn?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Steve October 6, 2009 at 11:37 am

There was usually a Saturn on the rode that I thought I'd look at when I was buying, but good intentions aside I never did. I used to like the VUE, but then it got too big. I'm not sure where the nearest dealer to me even is/was. GM certainly took a good idea and managed to screw it up.

Janice October 15, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I know I will DEFINITELY not miss seeing these beauties(sarcasm) on the road. It's about time they realized that they've been going in a terrible direction with their vehicles!!

Howlin' Harry Besharet November 22, 2009 at 10:32 am

i'll miss the idea of saturn: an american company building an all-american car … no dickering over the price … tremendous customer service …

dreams die hard, i guess … i wonder if the world would be a better place without gm … and no, i wouldn't miss gm.

Real American December 1, 2009 at 9:55 pm

You dipsticks probably are the typical Benadict Arnolds of the modern day! Driving your piece of crap rice burners. You're damn right you'll miss GM! And you'd miss Ford too. And don't tell me about how junky GM is. I live and work driving Chevy and GMC. I won't even sell my last work van, (a chevy) with 190,000+ miles because it is in to good of shape. has been the best vehicle ever in the last 30 years i've owned, and i've owned over 20 GM new since 1986. So when you can't find a job outside a sorry ass Wallmart, you can sleep in your rice burner so you don't have to pay rent, or live with your parents who bought American from American companies that built America, for your arrogant ass. People who love this country, honor our flag, buy American cars from American car makers.

loveunderlaw August 29, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Yes it sucks that retarded management has ruined a great auto line, Saturn, Pontiac, & Oldsmobile are some of the best car lines to ever come out of GM ! The greedy CEO's & Unions kill American corporations, they should be ashamed of themselves…

Nichol May 21, 2015 at 7:37 pm

This is the perfect web site for everyone who wants to find out about
this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for decades.
Wonderful stuff, just excellent!

free anonymous proxies August 26, 2017 at 1:11 pm

What's up,I log on to your blogs named "Will you miss Saturn?" regularly.Your writing style is witty, keep doing what you're doing! And you can look our website about free anonymous proxies.

Ray August 30, 2017 at 12:22 pm

WE WIᒪL.? They Ƅoth shouted and they ran to the bedroom biсkerіng about who ill get to ggߋ first.

juknis bos 2014 final December 12, 2017 at 6:29 pm

2017 semoga bermanfaat. 000, -/siswa/tahun serta SMP Rp1.

Download Lagu Indonesia January 22, 2018 at 3:14 pm

When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are
added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I receive four emails with
the exact same comment. Is there an easy method you can remove me from that service?
Cheers!