Car Chase -- Community Blog

What was your parent's favorite car?

by Steven S. Brooks on August 17, 2011

in Automotive Industry,Automotive Publications,Car Ads,Car Clubs,Collecting,Dream Cars,Just for Fun

My father was the first to admit that he regarded cars as a necessary evil. My mother never even got a driver's license. Despite these facts, they had a string of cars cool enough to satisfy the taste of their son who was born with the recessive car crazy gene.

Of all the cars I remember riding in as a kid, the one I was most proud to be seen in was our 1959 Pontiac Bonneville four door hardtop. It had a white top over a bright red body and a sparkling, multi-hue copper/brass/gold interior. Best of all, it was powered by a 389 cubic inch V8 which was fed through three, two barrell carbs. In classic fashion, the intrigue of the Tripower was totally lost on my dad, who would only complain about the bad gas mileage and the need to use premium fuel.

I'm guessing everyone had a favorite car memory from their childhood. What was yours?

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Maria Mollis August 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

My parent's favorite car was their new yellow and black '55 Mercury Montclair. shortly after bringing it home from the dealer, we drove it to Florida. It was a really pretty car. One time, my Mom's boss told her to go to the airport to pick up Pat Boone who was doing a concert here in Akron. He loved my parent's car and told them, "Someday, I'm gonna have a car just like this". My favorite car was my Dad's '62 Old's cutless convertible. I liked that the speedometer changed colors from yellow to red, depending how fast you were going. When I got my first car, Dad bought me a slightly used '62 Olds Cutless, just like his. He never told me that he was car-shopping for me and it was a shock when he drove up the driveway with it and handed me the keys! I loved that car so much, after washing and waxing it the first night that I had it, I slept in it's back seat!

Steven S. Brooks August 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm

@Maria: Thanks for sharing! You and your dad had great taste in cars. The Olds F85/Cutlass was introduced in 1961 as the brand's first modern compact. It was full of innovations such as unibody construction, four-link rear supsension and an all-aluminum V8. Additionally, 1962 was the first year for the Cutlass convertible. You had a very special car!

Pink Panther August 31, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Well Steven, I have tons of car memories from my childhood and it's darn near impossible to pick a favorite car…but I will share a favorite car memory. Growing up my father used to take me and my sister on car missions. These would typically consist of waking up before dawn on Saturday mornings and picking up breakfast on the road. We would be headed to anywhere within a days driving distance and would spend hours in the car with the open trailer behind us. When we would reach our destination you never knew who you were going to meet; quite a variety of car collecting characters! Then we would attach our new purchase and head on home. I always looked forward to the Friday nights when Dad would come home late from work and tuck me in bed and say "I'll wake you up early tomorrow, I've got another mission for us."

Rocci Marzano October 2, 2011 at 11:39 pm

While growing up my parents had na few favorite cars. They had a 1959 Plymouth Savoy, a 1965 Pontiac Bonniville, and my favorite a 1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS. They also had a Mercury Montclair, a Chevrolet Caprice Classic, and a 1949 Buick. I loved all of these cars. Thank You….

Rocci Marzano October 3, 2011 at 12:02 am

My favorite cars were my 1986 Mercedes 399E, 1992 Toyota Supra Turbo, a 1994, 1996 Toyota Camry, 1986 Toyota Corolla, 1969 Lambrogini Mura S, 1969 Cadilac Fleetwood, 1968,1969 Fiat Spyder, 1989 Honda Civic, 1995 Honds Accord, 2001, 2004,2006, 2008 Honda Accords. 1992 Chrysler Town and Country Limited Van, and my favorite of all time a 1969 Lambrogini Mura S with 12 cylinders, 6 dual weber carbs with a top speed of 191mph. I had it up to 161mph. WHAT A CAR !!!

Steven S. Brooks October 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Rocci,

That's quite a lineup but the Miura really stands out. Care to share how you came about acquiring it?

Craig Wright October 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

My mother had two favorite cars. The first was a 1959 Impala convertible, red with white interior. Her second was a 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe. Needless to say, I wish both were still in the family. Now, her favorite is the one in her garage; a 1999 BMW 528i that I bought her last year. She liked the two that we have, so I bought her one as well.

My father's favorite was the Chevy El Camino. He had a total of four; 1965, 1969, 1973, and a 1977. He started this trend with a 1960 or 1961 Ford Ranchero. He was of the generation that bought a new car every four years. The '69 was passed on to me in during my college days.