Car Chase -- Community Blog

A friend from Texas just called to say that he just acquired the car he always dreamed of when he was a kid in Illinois, over fifty years ago. It was a Ford with a custom German body that sat in a persnickety neighbor's garage from the time of his earliest memory until he went away to college. At that point, he lost track of it until he saw it buried in a Utah estate auction listing. Yes, the miracle of the internet struck again and he was able to finally acquire the car of his childhood dreams.

Not all of us are this lucky, but we all had a car we wanted as tikes. Mine was a red Duesenberg. What was yours?

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

GuardsRedShark November 16, 2011 at 10:36 am

As a teen in the 1980's, I was a Porsche fanatic. The walls of my bedroom papered with Motor Trend and Car and Driver photos of Porsche 911 Turbos and 928's. Even loved the 944. As an adult, I have acquired two of those three cars, and cherish every day on the road with them.

peach November 28, 2011 at 11:35 am

Always wanted a 71 Monte Carlo. Still waiting.

Boss Hoss December 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Firebird Trans Am TA. The Screaming Chicken, the tuned 455 v8. Lawd!

OLD December 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Without a doubt the 1970 Olds 442 followed in close second by a 1969 Z28 Camaro ..302 DZ motor, Muncie 4 speed 3.67 posi rear end. I actually owned the Z28 back in the 80's but it was stolen and totaled. A friend owns the 1970 442 and that's one bad ride I'd like to own if I could afford it.

ww December 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm

My own horse to ride to school. I had a very old white sway backed mule Dad bought for ? $2.00. Yes I am older than mud.

Big John December 17, 2011 at 10:07 pm

A smokey and the bandit trans-am. Not the one from the first movie, but the second movie. I liked the newer designed front and back end. I'm 39 now and still dont have one. Now they are starting to become collectors items and the prices are going up, so unless I hit the lottery, I probably have a better shot at getting one of the new Dodge Challenger SRT-8's once they are about 10 years old.

Kirk December 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Always wanted one of those cool Fineson Doosbits.

George Green December 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I wanted a Corvette from the day I saw my first one in the local Chevy dealer's showroom in 1953. I was 10 years old

larry d. January 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm

A 1962 Impala convertible my dad bought and tinkered with a while when I was about 14 years old.

C. Lal February 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

Remember the designs of the Arnolt – Bristol collaboration? When "Wacky" Arnolt was living in Wasaw, IN, he built a car for his son, Stan's 16th birthday. This car had a special talent and shocked many riders & viewers, because as it crossed railroad tracks the vibrations
made all the body parts fall off. Of course, there was a "lock-on" switch, but if there were notable spectators, Stan loved to impress. This was approx. 1959-60, but I've not seen or heard anything re this car since. … Has anybody?